Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Nonconformist" is a conformist's word

I should most definitely be sleeping right now. But, I can't give up on this challenge only eight days in. That'd be pathetic. I'll tell you more about today, tomorrow. For right now, I'm just going to tell you about something we briefly discussed at Journey Groups.

John the Baptist was a bit of an oddball. He was hairy, and he ate locusts dipped in honey. (Sounds... yummy?) But he was an oddball that pointed people to Christ. Something that my mom and I have sort of been battling against lately is my individuality. Normalcy's not my style. It's not a bad thing, it's just not for me. It never has been. I don't fit into the box most people try to put me in and I'm okay with that. I love who I am and who God created me to be. But it's a bit much for my mom to handle sometimes (I'm putting that into nicer words than what's been said).

I get that there is a generation gap between my mom and me, but God created me to be different. And He created you to be different as well. There is nothing wrong with that. Stand out. Be the oddball God created you to be for Him. That's what I learned tonight. Now, I'm not hairy, nor do I eat honey-dipped insects, but I'm not afraid to be who I am and you shouldn't be either. Accept who you are because, honey, that's how God made you and you're awesome.

peace, love, and Romans 12:2
kay lyric hardy

No comments: