Monday, September 22, 2008

Day Two

3:07 am
I was so afraid of falling off the top bunk that I willed myself to not move while I slept. Big mistake. I woke up just now and both of my legs were asleep. Not cool. Another uncool thing, my cell phone doesn't work over here. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess. I'm going to try to go back to sleep now.

I woke up around eight this morning so I could shower and get ready before breakfast. We ate this homemade chocolate granola with corn flakes and milk, sort of like cereal. It was interesting, but not bad. We had some times before church so I checked my email and Facebook and stuff. Church was pretty cool. Jesse and Danielle led worship and did a few songs I didn't know, but the rest I knew. The Principle of Holsby Brunn, Todd, was the speaker today. He was speaking on our theme verses for this year, which are 1 Corinthians 1:30-31. Basically, he said that in whatever we do or whatever we have, we need to remember that God gave it to us and that we didn't get it or do it on our own.
My mom and Denis came from Vetlanda again to go to church with me before they headed off to Germany for a week. It was neat to see them again and sort of show them around.
For lunch, we had grilled chicken in some sort of sauce, with the most amazing french fries ever. Chocolate pudding followed as the dessert. I sat with some different people at lunch today and they are all really cool. They are from Germany and Canada. But I did meet two guys from Alaska. That's a first.
Speaking of guys, all of them are super polite and whatnot. If they're sitting at a table with girls, they offer to serve them first. (When we come in for meals, the food is already on the table.) Not to say that the guys back home aren't polite; it's just different.
We had an hour or so after lunch to do whatever, so I took my guitar to the benches outside of the chapel and had my own praise and worship session. It was pretty rad.
At two, we all met in front of the main building to go on a hike up to a ski hill. It took about an hour to get up there. Some parts of the hike were really easy, but toward the end, it was all steep and uphill. I'll be feeling that in my quads tomorrow. The hike was really cool because I got to get to know more people. Mostly, people are either from Germany or Canada, eh? There's probably five or so of us that are from the States. It's cool though because I love hearing about their culture. And I think it's neat when they ask me to help them with their English. There's this girl named Marie, and she's cool. Her name sounds a lot cooler when she says it in her German accent.
I bet you just tried to say it like that.
So we just got back from the hike and everyone is really tired and sore. I am especially tired because I woke up last night and stayed awake for two hours. Yikes. Hopefully that won't happen again tonight.

I forgot to mention something earlier - as we were hiking back, a thorn poked my pinky and it stung for a while. Now it just hurts.
For dinner tonight, we had ham and swiss cheese sandwiches with baked oatmeal for dessert. My favorite was the baked oatmeal, surprisingly. They had this natural yogurt with strawberry jam in it to go with the oatmeal, but I decided against it. Normally, I'm not a big fan of ham, unless it's on a #1 at Firehouse Subs. Mmm.
We had two hours of nothing to do after dinner before we had to meet up again. I got my laptop and went to the internet room,  but it was full so I went down to the Bik (the room above the chapel). It gets wireless internet. I video chatted with Alyson, Kaydee, Karam, Brent, and a few others. It was really good to see them all again. It started to lag after a little bit, and I wanted to take a nap, so I went back to my dorm.
Before I left for the Bik, Madeleine (from Germany), one of my roommates, asked if she could play my guitar, so I said sure. When I came back from the Bik, there was a small group of German girls with my guitar and someone else's singing and playing praise and worship on the floor of my dorm. So much for that nap. But it was neat to hear them praise God in German.
At 7:30, we met back in the chapel for some "Get to Know You" games. They were fun,  even though I still can't remember half of the people's names. I guess I shouldn't expect that on my second day.
So that's basically all that  happened today. Oh, and I uploaded some pictures on Facebook so people can sort of see what I've been up to.
I am really excited to see what God has planned for me while I'm here in Holsby.

peace, love, and going to class now.


Loren Fay. said...

ROFL kaeli!!! you sound like you are talking to me. this post made me smile to much haha. i am going to find my friend so i cause use ichat. i just have to figure it allout. im sure it is easy lol. my bff jamie has an apple, so i will go see her some time soon & use her's :)

i loved the pics btw. they reminded me of heidi LOL

Kenneth said...

Sounds like a cool time your having.