Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The narrow path

One of my favorite poems EVER is "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. I'm sure most of you have read it before, but I'm going to post it for you anyway:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This poem talks about how there are two paths in life: the one most people go down, and the "narrower" path which is overgrown and grassy because not many people take that path. Often times, we like to try out both paths in life, but we know we can't do that. So we come to the conclusion that we need to pick one. It's often easier to take the path everyone else has taken because you probably know more about it.

But most of the time, the right thing isn't easy. So you let out a sigh and head down the one that not many people have traveled. Sure, you have no idea what lies ahead, but you trust that you made the right decision by taking that path. (This was a very short analysis of the poem. If I would've spent more time on it, I would've given you more.)

Matthew 7:13-14 (ESV) says this:
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

Luke 12:34 (ESV):
"Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able."

Psalm 16:11 (ESV):
"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

John 14:6 (ESV):
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

peace, love, and rockets.
kaeli

No comments: