Sunday, June 13, 2010

April 15th

I have sort of always struggled with doing devotions daily. Sometimes I would get into a good habit and do them every day for a few months, but then I would forget one night and it would knock my whole schedule out of whack. Then I would go for weeks before I would pick up my bible again. It is a constant battle for me, but I've done them pretty consistently for the last few days.

Tonight I did my devos out of a book by Oswald Chambers called "My Utmost for His Highest." Some of you may have heard of it before. On the April 15th page, Oswald called me out on something. He says, "You no more need a day off from spiritual concentration on matters in your life than your heart needs a day off from beating...God wants you to be entirely His, and it requires paying close attention to keep yourself fit. It also takes a tremendous amount of time. Yet some of us expect to rise above all of our problems, going from one mountaintop experience to another, with only a few minutes' effort."

What my buddy Oswald is saying is that relationships take lots of time and work, so why would our relationship with God be any different? And putting a lot of time and effort into my relationship with Him is something I haven't been too great at lately. God should be our number one love in life, so why wouldn't we want to spend time with Him?

I think for me, I always "have something I need to do" when really I just don't feel like sitting down and putting everything aside for a while to talk to God and hear what He has to say. I really admire those of you who wake up at like 6 a.m. to hang out with Jesus for an hour or so. I hope to get to that one day.

peace, love, and April 15th.
kaeli

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

That is a powerful quote from Oswald. You will get to a set routine, it takes time to get incredibly consistent, but you will get there. Of course, you are always in my prayers Reaps. :]