Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day doesn't have to suck

I would say that this year's Valentine's Day was the best one I've ever experienced. Let me tell you about it...

Mini rant: Normally, I absolutely despise the 14th of February. Not because I'm almost always single (although that's a tiny factor), but because I don't see the point in setting aside one day out of the year for romance; it should happen spontaneously. Romance should be organic, authentic, real. Not some Hallmark addition to the other holidays. Plus, it's almost always cheesy on Valentine's Day, and I don't do cheesy in relationship-type situations. (Mini rant over.)

However, this Valentine's Day was unlike any other. I was awoken this morning by my cell phone ringing off the hook by a private number. I'm a tad cranky in the morning, so naturally, I didn't answer. I then received a message on Skype from a skype name I didn't recognize. It was really generic, but it just said to go outside. A little freaked out, I decided to check out my window. There wasn't anyone standing down below, so I went down to open my front door. I was completely taken aback by the dozens of rose petals spread out in place of my welcome mat. There was a note resting on top of the velvety petals and I bent down to pick it up. It read:

This is a scavenger hunt. Follow my clues and answer my riddles. Each one will bring you a step closer to finding your secret admirer. Good luck. (By the way, you look great.)


I turned the note over to find my first clue. The answer was easy - it led me to my car where I found another clue and more rose petals on my windshield. The next clue took me to the gazebo in the nearby park. And again I found another clue surrounded by rose petals. There were a total of seventeen clues, all taking me to different places around town - a restaurant, a coffee shop, a movie theater, the beach, and finally back to my home. I opened my front door and there lay a trail of rose petals, so I followed. They led upstairs to my room. Everything was just as I had left it, with the exception of all the petals and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates sitting on my bed. This was obviously someone I knew, otherwise my mom wouldn't have let them in the house while I was gone. I smiled. Amongst the candy, there was one final note. It had my name written sweetly on the outside of the envelope, and I gently opened it, my heart racing in anticipation of what it might read.

The inscription was a beautiful message to me, something I will never forget. I still don't know who my secret admirer is, but I thank you for somewhat thawing my anti-valentine heart of ice. I hope I can meet you one day soon. Until then.

peace, love, and well, more love.
kaeli

Ps. None of this actually happened. Today was just like any other ordinary day. I watched a few episodes of House, ate some cous cous, hung out with friends, and watched a movie with them. Jesus was and will forever be my Valentine - He's the best one I could ever have. I hope you all had a great holiday. Know that you are so valuable and so loved and you don't need to be limited to one day out of the year to hear that. Enjoy the 50% off chocolate tomorrow!

No comments: